The time it takes for plaque to turn into calculus (tartar) is only twenty-four hours. It is possible to control plaque and tartar formation with daily home cleaning, but those hard-to-reach areas will always need special attention.
Once your periodontal treatment has been completed, your dentist and dental hygienist will recommend that you have regular perio maintenance cleaning (periodontal cleanings). Perio maintenance cleaning is typically performed four times a year. The pocket depths will be checked at these appointments to make sure they are in good shape. Above and below the gum line, any hard-to-reach plaque and calculus will be removed.
Your dentist and dental hygienist will recommend perio maintenance cleaning after your periodontal treatment is complete.
In addition to your perio maintenance cleaning and evaluation, your appointment will usually include:
- Examining diagnostic x-rays (radiographs) is essential for detecting decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- An examination of tooth decay allows us to check all tooth surfaces for decay.
- An examination of existing restorations to check current fillings, crowns, etc.
- An oral cancer screening allows us to check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, cheek tissues, and gums for any early signs of oral cancer.
- Teeth polishing removes stain and plaque that is not typically removed during home brushing and scaling.
- An oral hygiene review and recommendations for oral hygiene aids as needed. (Electric toothbrushes, special periodontal brushes, fluorides, rinses, etc.)
Maintaining dental health and keeping periodontal disease under control is possible with good oral hygiene practices. Schedule your appointment today with Dr Paul Corcoran, DDS, The professional dental in Eagle CO.
Exemplary Dentistry, Extraordinary Results. Contact Us Today To Schedule Your Next Perio Maintenance Cleaning Appointment
Call (970) 471-5331
Get In Touch
We encourage you to contact us with any questions or comments you may have. Please call our office or use the quick contact form.